SCHOOL JOURNAL PART 3 NUMBER 1 2007, PAGES 2 - 7
The Sun and Other Inventions by Simon Cooke
WALT: Use inferencing strategy to find answers to questions based on the text.
Success Criteria: I know I have used the inferencing strategy when I have done the following to look for an answer:
*look for clues around the text,
*re-read the text,
* sound out the question and look for key words in the question, *discuss with a buddy.
* form a picture of the question and then try and answer it.
* read on while looking for the correct answer.
ACTIVITY 1 - READING RESPONSE
Read the story and then answer the questions based on the story.
1. What is a Science Fair?
A science fair is an opportunity for people to learn new inventions.
2. What did Grandpa Sid do as Emma and he were watching the exhibition?
When Grandpa Sid and Emma were watching the exhibition, Grandpa Sid said that he invented the Sun.
3. Why did the President of the World go and see Grandpa Sid?
The President of the world went to see Grandpa Sid because he was a famous inventor.
4. Why had the people stopped to listen to Grandpa Sid?
People stopped to listen to Granpa Sid because it was interesting.
5. Why were the scientists annoyed with Grandpa Sid?
The scientists were annoyed with Grandpa Sid because he was lying.
6. What did the scientists do in the end to stop Grandpa from lying to everyone?
The scientists called the security guards.
ACTIVITY 2 - VOCABULARY
Make sentences with these words.
1. ignored - I ignored the boy when he called me names.
2.scattered - I scattered the coconut over the icing.
3. screamed - We screamed so loud when my aunt scared us.
4.scientist - The scientists showed their experiment to the President.
5. enormous- They thought that the enormous building was about to fall down.
6. invented - He invented the steam engine.
7. disappointed - I was disappointed at my dog because he was disrespectful to the visitors.
8. mistake - People have made many mistakes in their lives.
9. everyone - Everyone was there to celebrate the Queen’s birthday.
10. unfortunately - Unfortunately we didn’t have the time to go to the park.
ACTIVITY 3 - STORY REVIEW
Write an article review for this article and take a screenshot of a picture from the article and put it up on your Blog after it has been checked by your teacher.
The Sun and Other Inventions.
This story is about Grandpa Sid telling lies to his granddaughter and to the people at the science fair. He told them that he invented the Sun, the Moon and that he invented gravity too. But the other scientists wouldn't believe him, so they called the security guards.